(If you get the stupid Register & Bee paywall block, just reload the page and hit the stop button on your browser after the story loads.)
Face. Palm. There are so many things wrong with this “protest”. Let’s go to a Big List of them…
- If you’re going to your senator’s office to tell his staff how you feel on a particular issue, it’s better to tell him yourself, not in a large group.
- If you’re going to your senator’s office to tell his staff how you feel on a particular issue, it’s better to go WHEN THE OFFICE IS ACTUALLY OPEN!
- Jim Webb doesn’t give a damn about Americans For Prosperity. Remember that organization? They used to do things in SouthsideVA but we haven’t seen or heard much from them since Ben Marchi left the group.
- Jim Webb doesn’t give a damn about the Danville Tea Party.
- Jim Webb doesn’t give a damn about Danville.
- Jim Webb doesn’t give a damn about pretty much anything since he’s done with the senator job and the end of this year.
- “…the group left some literature for the junior senator encouraging him to prevent certain EPA rules…” – He didn’t read it. He probably hasn’t even seen it. He’s not going to do a damned thing any differently because of this “literature”.
- I’m sure that the Tea Party left the same literature at Mark Warner’s office as well. Warner didn’t read it. Warner probably hasn’t even seen it. Warner’s not going to do a damned thing any differently because of this “literature”.
Protests like this one by the Danville Tea Party are as useless as the one’s Virginia Organizing occasionally stages outside of Robert Hurt’s office. The last one I seem to remember there was when they rounded up stupid old people and handed them signs saying something like “Republicans are trying to destroy Social Security” (by the way, they’re not). Hurt’s staff cordially welcomed the protestors, listened to what they said, accepted their literature, sent them on their way, then probably shredded the literature while mocking the idiocy of the protest.
Take that above paragraph, substitute “Danville Tea Party”” for “Virginia Organizing” and substitute “Jim Webb & Mark Warner” for “Robert Hurt” and you get what happened last week. It was a useless stunt that accomplished absolutely nothing. I’ve been impressed with the Danville Tea Party’s longevity and the recent restoring of sanity to the group. I’d have been a lot more impressed if the Danville Tea Party had actually used their influence to work on issues that they actually could accomplish something on, like the recent Danville City Council election & the recent Danville city budget.
With that being said, I’m also disappointed that the R&B’s headline mocked the fact that Webb’s office was closed. Tiffany Holland’s story was balanced and fair, but Charles Wilborn or Robert Benson’s headline was slanted against the protest. The R&B should provide unbiased headlines because it’s a news organization. Here at SouthsideCentral, it’s been made very clear that opinions and personal viewpoints are part of the content but that shouldn’t happen to a newspaper that’s supposed to provide unbiased coverage.
Final Thoughts: It was a stupid protest that accomplished nothing. The fact that Webb’s office was closed made it even stupider. The Danville Tea Party could have spent their time on something else and not let Americans For Prosperity talk them into something this useless. However, nobody in the group was wearing one of those ridiculous colonial costumes or shouting to nobody in particular, so it could have been worse (and by “worse”, I mean “even more mockable”).