Tom Perriello has been around the SouthsideCentral area doing his town hall meetings over the past week. I’ve got some “random thoughts” about how it’s gone so far.
- Attendance seems to be way down compared to last year, and that’s a big surprise to me with this being an election year. What’s the reason? Health care reform was the dominating issue last year, but there doesn’t seem to be one dominating issue out there.
- The attendance may be down, but the cordiality is significantly up. The ones I’ve seen have been nowhere like the one last year in Danville… except for one glaring example.
- Gary Bender (at the Danville meeting) was an embarrassment to himself. I’ll say what I said last year… “I don’t give a damn if you hate the man and think he’s Satan. He deserves a degree of respect no matter what.” Bender (in a two+ minute crazy-ass rant) called Perriello a “liar and a hypocrite” before getting booed (rightfully) by the audience.
- Has anyone ever seen Tom Perriello in anything except a light blue dress shirt and a red tie?
- Some people are complaining about the times that these town hall meetings have been scheduled for, with some starting at 7:30 AM. With the number of meetings that Perriello has scheduled, those complaints are horsecrap. There’s no way that everybody can be pleased and to have the meetings at various times throughout the day is a good idea. If you didn’t like the Chatham 7:30 AM start time on Monday, you could easily drive the short distance to Danville for the 6:00 PM meeting on Tuesday.
More random thoughts to come…