Let’s take a look at some of the stories that have caught my eye over the last week. Sunday is QuickHits day!
Let’s roll out the QuickHits! Big Board…
- Felony hit-and-run charges were certified against a truck driver who ran over a downed motorcyclist and killed him.
- A Burlington couple is charged with child abuse for putting an “adolescent child” in a clothes dryer.
- A 25-foot dam on Franklin County’s Pigg River starts to come down in a controlled demolition project.
- The Town of Appomattox hosts a dinner for emergency responders on the 6-month anniversary six months after a tornado that ripped through the county.
- The excessive force lawsuit against three Pittsylvania County deputies survives the summary dismissal hearing.
- Halifax County Clerk of Court Cathy Cosby raises some possible objections to the giant new courthouse project…
- …and local Delegate James Edmunds reminds the Board of Supervisors that the Circuit Court judges are barred from winning a lawsuit that would force the county to pay for the new courthouse project.
- There will be a Martinsville-Henry County Public Safety Day for community interaction on September 28th.
- Happy Trails to Altavista’s “Smith Brothers Mercantile”. The antique store closed due to the owner’s health problems.
- Patti O’Keefe, the Caswell Messenger editor, tells us the story of a Reidsville couple who just had triplets.
- Oh noes! Two shootings in five minutes in Greensboro, but nobody’s wringing their hands about it here because it didn’t happen in Danville.
- The third annual Franklin County Agricultural Fair has booked seven bands for the four-day run on September 14-17.
- Martinsville asks its citizens for design ideas for their ornament on the Governor’s Christmas Tree. Danville, are you doing this?
- Amy, the Caswell Messenger’s office cat, says that she has a big announcement coming!
Whoops. We got carried away again, so we’ll stop at fourteen reading assignments for you. Whether you check them out on Sunday or Monday, you’ll still be more informed that most people!
We’ve got more coming up on SouthsideCentral!