Let’s take a look at some of the stories that have caught my eye over the last week. Sunday is QuickHits day!
And the Big Board is ready…
- The “co-owner” of Martinsville’s Serendipity Metro Deli & Coffee House is sitting in a Virginia Beach jail on fugitive charges after his fake identity is busted by Martinsville police.
- And the guy’s claim as “co-owner” was just as fake as his assumed identity. Heh.
- Caswell County Sheriff Mike Welch calls out the county’s district attorney for a ridiculous fearmongering press release.
- The woman who killed a Rocky Mount teacher in a drunk driving crash pleads guilty to involuntary manslaughter. This is the woman who had a near-empty 3-liter wine box in her car.
- The 2014 “Volunteer Of The Year” for Winston Salem/Forsyth County schools is charged with sexual exploitation of a minor.
- Alamance County schools are trying optional “reverse suspensions”, where parents come to schools with their children.
- Star News takes over the Martinsville-Henry County parade and immediately jacks up the prices to participate.
- A second family member is indicted in the February murder of a 3-year old child in Mecklenburg County.
- A portion of Route 86 is dedicated in honor of a Caswell County army soldier who was killed in action.
- It’s almost time for the annual Climax Ruritan Club’s Sorghum Festival.
- Funeral home chapels aren’t just for funerals anymore. They’re for banquets and wedding receptions!
- Chatham’s Silas Moore Park will get a lot of needed upgrades.
- The last “big store” in the now quite-dead Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center is closing.
- Amy, the Caswell Messenger’s office cat, explains her weekend duties at the office.
Oh wow. We got carried away, eh? Let’s stop at fourteen reading assignments for you this week.
We’ve got more coming up here on SouthsideCentral!