Let’s start this BreakDown by bringing on a Big Board…
- Poor attendance by Danville citizens at the meeting. Again. That’s sad. The meetings are televised live on River City TV, so that’s another option… but there’s nothing like attending the meeting in person.
- Hey hey! Steven Gould becomes the first school board member that I know of who has attended at a City Council meeting and not only that… he spoke in the public comment session! Let’s see if any city council members come for Thursday’s school board meeting.
- Danville does a good National Night Out event every year. Cardinal Village really puts on a great part of it and it’s worth going to it. It will be their 7th year doing it. I’ll also add that Halifax County puts on a good show every year too. Pittsylvania County? Nothing. They do it at another time in the year which really doesn’t make it National Night Out.
- This isn’t a Thumbs! article, but I’m still giving a Thumbs UP! to Police Chief Philip Broadfoot for being at almost every council meeting and to new Economic Development Director Telly Tucker for going 2 for 2 on meetings so far.
- Almost Free Stuff is a pretty good deal, and grant writing is a big part of making that happen. The fire department gets new turnout gear and only has to pay 10% of the price for it. Not many people understand that grant writing turns into big money.
- Having to apply for a special use permit and paying the fees associated with it is a sad fact of living in the city. The horse boarding request was for a property way out on Westover Drive with the land used for it next to the Sandy River. But hey, it’s the city and all of those rules have to be followed. At least nobody objected to the permit… and why would they? It’s in the middle of nowhere.
- The Coal Ash Spill Is Dead. Deader than disco! None of those doom and gloom crazy environmentalist fear mongering stories ever came close to being true. I’m also glad that the latest “arsenic blisters” attempt was stomped down. People will hopefully learn a lesson from this hysteria attempt.
- The council members who were “going to make sure Duke Energy pays for the damage they’ve caused” has nothing left to yell about anymore. The city’s hired gun attorney will make sure that happens and that’s that. Gary Miller’s “ticking time bomb” was defused by the speakers last night.
- Buddy Rawley, you were WAY too quiet at the meeting.
Now to other observations…
- Downtown Danville is doing great with the revitalization, but it sure was dead on Tuesday night. Ugh.
- Main Street Coffee Emporium has succeeded with their business closing at 3:30 PM, but I’d love to eat supper there before a city council meeting.
- Dell’anno’s Pizza Kitchen’s food is delicious and their happy hour prices are awesome. It’s just too bad that the clerks haven’t rang up the food at those prices the last three times I’ve been there. Sigh.
- Finally, somebody’s been doing something in the old Register & Bee building as I’ve noticed tables and workbenches that have moved from week to week.
And that’s a BreakDown and more of Tuesday night’s action. More coming up on SouthsideCentral!